Thursday, June 24, 2010

Post Liberation Procedure Depression

*Post Surgical Depression*
June 24, 2010
You can’t be serious! After all the waiting, money, years of dealing with MS, money, testing, body invasion, criticism, anxiety and… did I mention money? What can you possibly have to be depressed about?

Anti-climatic events, such as a giving birth, buying a new home, landing that great job or getting through college, can be unsettling. You may experience a ‘let down’ or ‘blue’ feeling sometime after having a successful procedure. None of us know what to expect or experience with this simple but headline making surgery. A few things to look for when the cheering and celebrations wind down are:
  1. Stress:  We all know about stress and the havoc that comes with it. Any long awaited event will cause some stress once it is over.
  2. Guilt:  You did what was best for you and aren’t responsible for how other people react to your liberation. Sharing your experience could help you as well as those who aren’t there yet.
  3. Grief:  Believe it or not, I feel like I am starting Kindergarten sometimes. I don’t miss my disabilities, but making the transition from the MS world to my new one is a bit unnerving. I don’t know what to expect any more than I did when I was in a relapse.
  4. Perception:  Friends and family are as shocked as they were when I was diagnosed with MS. They aren’t sure what is ‘politically correct’ to say or not say. All of us remember how hard it was for everyone to adjust to our individual circumstances when newly diagnosed.
  5. Credibility: Expect negativity, especially online. All of us are painfully aware of the in house fighting that CCSVI has caused.  At home and in your community people may not be accustomed to seeing the “ lame man walk”, so to speak. Only you know how you feel about all of this, but not all of the time.
I’m not handing out any real answers, because no one has asked the questions as yet.
All of us will have to deal with post recovery, and a tad of the unknown. Remember that we are part of a new discovery. It’s just common sense to consider our reactions, before we have to cross the bridge.
Post a Comment